Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Winter, Church and Other Odds-N-Ends...

It has been about six months since we started attending church and the kids started RE, and I have to admit that I am finding myself moving further away from Catholicism than towards it. In fairness to the Catholic church, it is not them, but Christianity in general. As I sit at mass and listen to the sermons, I find myself back at square one questioning how insane it all is, not to mention abit cultish. By the end of mass, all I can think about is who is this different from other religions and what makes this one right. Why are Christians right and not Jews or Muslims, Hindus or Buddhists? What makes Christians any less insane than the people in Waco,TX or those other people that killed themselves over the comet in CA? Now, I know there are plenty of people out there that would think my questions are insane and maybe they are, but I cannot blindly follow a religion. I do not have the "faith" like others do. I need to see something to believe. Really, there is no other area of life that we ask people to just "blindly" follow and they are thought to be sane- Why then religion?

I could continue all day on this topic, but I won't I will move onto my winter depression. I hate the nasty gray sky of winter we have here. It makes me sad and depressed and not want to leave my house! And sure I suffer from depression in the summer too, but not like the winter! It is awful and January and February are the worst.If I could just find a way to move the sun inside, I'd be great.

I have almost everything ready for the holidays and I am happy to be visiting family and to have a week at home with the kids. I hope we get alot of vegging in and maybe a few trips to area sites, with the kids in school we don't get downtown much:( And downtown DC in the summer is hot and crowded so, we don't go then either:)

2 comments:

Ree said...

OMG...I find myself in that position sometimes, as well! I do believe in a higher power, but I also wonder why one religion is 'RIGHT' and others aren't! It definitely seems cultish at times!!
I don't want to be so agnostic, but my mind does twirl with this subject. I just have to believe that all the different religions are just different people choosing to worship in different ways.

Tribe Mama said...

That is why we attend super hippie church....believe what you want,be a super person, sing Grateful Dead...drink coffee during service. Wanna come Sunday :)