Sunday, August 30, 2009

Remembering

While on vacation last week, I had a dream about a boy I know that committed suicide during my Senior Year of High School. I am not sure what triggered the dream and subsequent memories, but it had been a long time since I thought so much about him.

His name was Jason. I had know him most of my life, my aunt and his mom were very good friends so I saw him often. Once I started school, we were in class together. He was my partner for kindergarten graduation:) I invited him to my birthday every year(when I was young;-) and for my 8th birthday he gave me a silver butterfly bracelet and necklace. I loved it! When I was in 5th grade, I switched schools and saw him less but as I said our families were friends and town was small, so it was never long before I saw him again. I remember often running into him at the boardwalk, he was always riding is dirt-bike up there on summer evenings.

I remember the last time I saw him, it was at the Quick-Check near my house, he stopped(on his bike)on his way home from the beach. We said "hi" asked about each others families and then went on our separate ways. A few months after that meeting, in the early morning, my aunt called to tell my mother the news of his passing. He had written a note, taken his father's gun and ended his life.

I remember being sad when it happened, but I think I am sadder now looking back on it. I am sad for his parents and brother who have had to go on without him. Sad for him that he could see no other way.

I am not sure what made me think of him, but I glad I did. I am glad to remember our time together and also see how lucky I am for being here right now.

RIP Jason.

No comments: