Monday, April 18, 2011

When the Stars Align.

Do you ever have a day that you really, really want everything to go smoothly, but you know the odds are NOT on your side? That was my day today.

Last week Ben and I decided that we would head to our first baseball game as a family this season. Last year we had partial season tickets for the entire family, which didnʻt work out so well with the girls. They HATED sitting through the games. They were always bored or it was too hot or too cold, so I spent most games walking around the park with them trying to keep them entertained. Because of that, Ben and I decided that this season we would just get two seats and he and Declan would go to most of the games and we would just buy extra tickets for the few games we could force the girls into(they have Friday Night Fireworks, so sometimes that will hook them:) Anyway, today was the big day, our first game of the season all together and all the stars aligned for us when we were prepared for the worst and it was awesome!

The list of things to worry about was long. First, the weather, you can never be sure how thatʻs going to play out for you. We got a HUGE win on that front! After awful storms yesterday, today had not a cloud in the sky, but it wasnʻt too hot to sit in the sun, it was a perfect 68 degrees with a light breeze. Next we had the issue of facing not one, but two games with three kids. With yesterdayʻs game rained-out, they decided to play two today. Ben and I were sure we had no chance of making it through 1 full game, 2 was laughable. To our utter amazement, all three monsters not only made it through 2 full games, but not one asked "how much longer". Now, I am not going to lie, we did bribe they with the Build-a-Bear at the stadium between games 1 & 2, but even after building their mascot, they were still prefect through the entire 2nd game! Also, they only asked for lunch [which we had planned on buying with our $100.00 FREE Nat Bucks Ben got as a season ticket holder] and we treated them to ice cream in between games. 8 hours we spent in that stadium today and for almost 7 of them, my monsters sat in there seats, well behaved and watched baseball!!! I just donʻt think I can stress how rare an event this is! I got to watch baseball! I even got to take some pictures!

Because the day wasnʻt perfect enough, we had some "extra treats" thrown in. The kids got baseballs signed by Drew Storen and Wilson Ramos, Benʻs wonderful friend from work, sat with us for the second game and happily interacted with the kids, even giving Killi the t-shirt he caught in the "shirt toss" and the Nats won BOTH games, which was probably the least likely event to have occurred today:)

Right now I am so overwhelmed with happiness over my perfect day. It was just one of those days that could never be planned, they just happen. I wish I could bottle this feeling to use over and over again! Such peace and calm, I have recreated my Hawaiian state of mind:)

No comments: