Thursday, August 28, 2008

Obama, What a Speech...

First off, I will admit that I am a political junky. Democrat, Republican I don't care, I will sit and listen to what you have to say. I pride myself as being one of the most knowledgeable voters around, and I usually know more about the candidate I am not voting for than the people who are voting for them do.

That said, tonight I sat and watched the entire Obama speech, as I have every speech each night of the DNC. Here is my take on the speech, 1) It was wonderful for my children to see that it really doesn't matter what color your skin is, as an American child you can grow-up to be anything you want to be as long as you work hard 2) There are a huge number of celebrates that are democrats(and free this week:) 3) Gosh, Sen. Obama likes to hear is own voice, because he talked around in circled and never really laid out his plan; he said a lot of nice things(my favorite being his use of a line from The American President, which is on of my favorite movies ever) 4) I am still waiting for his economic plan, because he never did explain how he was paying for all his programs like ending our dependence on foreign oil, affordable college, health care 5) I also want to know how he is going to force insurance companies to lower premiums because last I checked we still lived in a capitalist society. There were a few other issues I had with the content of the speech, but the speech itself was awesome to watch. The crowd and emotion were absolutely amazing and I am sure next week will not be near as exciting, bit I will still watch:)


** As a disclaimer I would like to say that I tend to vote republican(unless Mitt Romney is involved:) But that I always go into an election undecided and truly do watch anything political(watch interactively of course, me yelling at the t.v. both parties:) So you know where I'm coming from, I vote Republican because 1) I believe in small government 2) I am for lower taxes 3) I believe in a strong defense. Areas I disagree are 1) abortion- it should not be a government issue 2) gay marriage- should not be a government issue(although the same rights should apply to gay couples as do straight, i.e. health care) 3) I am for gun control, not against the 2nd amendment, but for control. So, as you can see, I am a libertarian by definition, but they always offer candidates that go too far off the reservation for me, but limited government would make me happy- live and let live I say.

No comments: