Saturday, November 21, 2009

Phone Call

Today I received a phone call from my insurance company, here is a quick recap:

Me: Hello

INS: Hi, is Emily in?

Me: This is

INS: Hi, Emily this is _________, with your insurance co and we are calling today because we see that you have suffered with depression in the past and we would like to make sure you are getting the most out of your benefits.
Me: umm...okay

INS: Do you mind answering a few questions today

Me: fire away

INS: How would you describe your current mental state?

ME: today or in general?

INS: Well, let's look at the past month or so

Me: okay...Well, about 6 weeks ago my grandfather died, then I got H1N1 which caused pneumonia that I could not get-rid of for 3 weeks. Two weeks ago I flew to FL to be with my dad, who is 56 and had to have surgery for lung cancer and when I got home last week I had an outbreak of shingles in my nose.

INS: WOW, do you have children?

Me: yes, a 4.5 yr old, an almost 7 and an 8 r old.

INS: Well, that is alot to deal with.

Me: Ya think? And oh did I mention that I live in VA so the weather here sucks in the Fall and Winter. It is 70 and sunny one day, then is 50 and rainy for 3 days.

INS: Well, that is something else. I am sure that all of that would test anyone even if you didn't suffer depression.

Me: Ya Think?
INS: do you think you are suicidal?
Me: No
INS: well why?

Me: *sigh* Well, I have 3 small kids

INS: and
Me: Well, they could not possibly live w/o me

INS: really?

Me: No, I am sure they could, but I like to tell myself that:)

INS: So what gets you out of bed in the morning?

Me: did I mention that I have 3 KIDS!

INS: oh, so they wake you?

Me: YEAH! Do you have any other questions?

INS: I think that is all for now. I will have your case manager _______ call you on Monday, what time is good?

Me: Well, the kids are all in school between 9-11 EST, so that is best.


INS: Oh, you have kids? How old are they?

Me: really? look back in your notes, I have to go pick my little one up at preschool.



After I hung up and replayed the conversation in my head, my first thought was that I was being "punked", then I moved on to believe that I would come back home and the men would be there waiting to put me in a "white-coat". I cannot wait for the phone call Monday. I hope it goes just as well:)

No comments: