Thursday, November 12, 2009

What A Wild Ride

I'm tired and ready to go home. The last 10 days have been interesting. Last Tuesday, November 3rd, I hopped on a plane with Maggie headed to Florida. My plan was to be there for my father's surgery that was scheduled for the next day. I made the best plans that I could for Ben and the monsters. My in-laws were kind enough to come down and watch the kids so that Ben could work and I could focus on my parents and helping them. Well, that is NOT what happened! At 2pm, on Tuesday, the day before the surgery, the doctor called and postponed the surgery wanting another PET Scan before he went in! That really threw a wrench in my plans! Now I was here, with nothing to do!

A PET Scan was scheduled for Thursday morning. The scan got what it was looking for and surgery was rescheduled for Wednesday, Nov.11th, a week later than original planned and a two days after I was scheduled to be home!

So, I called Ben and we decided that I would extend my stay and we would juggle Declan and Killi for another 4 days. This was NOT an easy decision for me. I have NEVER been away from the kids that long, NEVER! Ben and I have not been apart that long in years! And then, he was always the one traveling. Not to mention that I was still concerned about my dad. I have been edge to say the least:) No need to worry about Ben and teh kids though! They have stepped up and been wonderful! The kids have gone with the flow of different care-givers and Ben has done all the laundry, kept the house clean and gotten the kids off to school everyday! They even managed to take in 2 movies and had a few home-cooked meals. I am so proud of all of them and cannot thank them enough for stepping-up for me. They are the BEST!

Now for my dad. Yesterday, he had surgery as planned to remove a spot from his lung. They did not know for sure until they went-in if it was cancer or if it had spread. Therefore, we would not not what was going to be done until they got-in and looked. At 7:30am my mother and I said good-bye to my dad as he went off to the OR. We went off to the waiting room where we sat for the next 4 hours waiting. Waiting while so many other people came and went. Finally at 11:30, the doctor came out! The spot on his lung was a cancerous tumor so they removed the entire middle-lobe of his lung. This news was both good and bad. It was bad because he lost he lobe and his lungs were in worse shape than thought, so recovery will be a little slower, but good because they are pretty sure that he is cancer-free and will not need and chemo or radiation. He will be in the hospital for the next 7-10 days which seems long, but I guess they know what they are doing:) I have seen him twice since the surgery and he looked pretty good last night. He is on lots of pain pills and oxygen, but he was out of bed and drinking juice! I am glad I was here to see him.

Today, it is time to go home! I have done what I needed to here and now I need my husband and monsters, although having Mag for a week alone has NOT been easy:) Back to being a full-time wife and mother. I am anxious to get home. I miss my life! I feel like things have been on hold for weeks now. Between my dad's surgery and our bout of illness, I am ready for a break!

Next week will be another long week for the fam as we wait for more answers. I am hopeful that next weeks outcome will be as good as this week. Then it will be Thanksgiving with Billy and Kelly! And we will be back in Florida in 6 weeks for Christmas! Busy, Busy, Busy!!!

For now, I am counting down the hours until I get to see my husband and monsters!

No comments: