Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Opinion vs. Gossip

If you give share your personal feelings/ideas on a matter, situation or person is it an opinion or gossip? For example, if someone asks you why you no longer belong to an organization and you tell them that you left because you did not agree with the way in which an organization was run or how you [personally] were treated, is that not your opinion?

Well, I have decided that it is my opinion. It maybe seen as gossip too, but I have decided that I am entitled to give my opinion, whatever it may be, good or bad, to whomever I wish to. I really don't care to hear anyone else say, "Let it go" or "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". I like to give my opinion, when I am asked to, okay even sometimes when I am not asked;-) But, I am sick of feeling that I have to watch every little thing I say and who I say it to. Here it is: If you hear from someone that I said something, I most likely did. And to that end, if you feel the need to confirm it, skip the middle-man and just ask me. Before you do though, make sure you really want to know the answer.

I have made many mistakes in my life and skipped-out on good advice; one of the best pieces of advice ever given to me was to avoid (at all cost) local politics. I wish I could say that this advice had only been given to me once and I ignored it, but that is not the case. It was given many, many times starting at a very young age. I guess some lessons need to be experienced to be learned. I certainly hope that mine was learned!

What I will do is continue to speak my mind and give my opinion. Like it, don't like it, you can have your own, just like me. That is what makes it YOUR OPINION and not mine, or MINE OPINION and not yours.

1 comment:

BLAZER PROPHET said...

When I was younger I too gave my opinion. But the older I get the more I realize there's a time and place to give my opinion and it no longer includes each and every time I'm asked.

Food for thought from Oregon.