Sunday, September 12, 2010

Christmas.

Yes, I know it is early but since Christmas has become an insane holiday of gift giving, planning has to start early so that it can be paid for. I like Christmas. I love Christmas decorations and parties, family togetherness and yummy treats, but I cannot stand what Christmas has become...presents & Santa Clause.

As anyone who has read my blog knows, I am not sold on the whole Christianity thing, but I do believe that Christmas was created as a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. With this as the intention, I would love to understand how in the world it has now become about presents and Santa! Where did we drop Christ off and where did the presents come about? I am just trying to find a way to balance this all for my kids.

We celebrate A LOT of holidays in our house, not because we are necessarily affiliated with the culture or religion where the holiday originated, but so that we understand other cultures and religions. For example, my kids enjoy lighting our menorah during Chanukah or talking about the day of the dead on Halloween, but we are not Jewish or Mexican, just interested in other cultures. With all that said, I do not understand what my children are being taught by celebrating Christmas in the American tradition of it. Gifts for no reason? From a man named Santa? Because Christ was born? As I try to understand I see many justifications for the gifts suchas The Wise Men's gifts to Jesus or combining the Feast of St. Nicholas with the birth of Christ and I know there are more theories out there, but none that are really helping me understand the explanation HUGE gift-giving at Christmas.

There is only explanation I have found that seems to make sense...Retailers attached themselves to this holiday and have been pushing it harder and harder every year. Bigger Sales, Christmas Release Dates, Santa Marketing!!! Yes, that is it! Christmas is a time to celebrate Retailers! Thank you so much for making us think we NEED to spend our money!

Maybe this year I will convince my husband that we should celebrate the birth of Christ and not Retail Magic:)

1 comment:

BLAZER PROPHET said...

When the Maji searched for the Christ and found him in a humble manger, they brought gifts for Him- To celebrate the birth of the savior of the world for those who want newness of life and eternal life with God. So, in a sense, gifts at Christmas are symbolic. Granted, that symbolic gift giving has turned crass and worldly. My daughter (age 29) and I take the money we would have spent on each other for Christmas and give it to a local charity. We have since she was age 16. In this way we feel we symbolize the act of giving- as Jesus gave his life up on the cross for the sins of mankind.

Maybe this Christmas would be a good time to teach your kids how to give to those in need.