Sunday, November 9, 2008

Class

I was just watching television and the news was on and I saw a story that made me once again, so proud to be an American. The story was bout the meeting that the Obamas and the Bushs are having tomorrow at the White House. The news reported that Mrs Bush and Mrs Obama will talk and tour the living quarters of the house while their husbands meet in the Oval Office to discuss the economy and how to make the transition to the new administration as seamless as possible. First, how much grace and dignity do the President and Mrs Bush have for inviting the Obamas so quickly to the White House and the Obamas for coming. It shows me that both families recognize that the office of the President is bigger than any one person and that they both respect that.

Here is the other incredible thing to me about this, not only are we getting a new president in January, but a president from a different party and still things are smooth and peaceful. For all the faults America may have, as a Democracy(yes, I know we are by definition a Republic) what a wonderful example of a free society we are. How incredible lucky we are to have that. I do wish that everyone could experience it at least once in their life.

I love days that make me this proud to be an American. And I am looking forward to watching the transfer of power. It heck it will be nice not to feel like I need to defend the President for the next 4 years since I didn't vote for him:) Really though, I have a open mind and I am looking forward to what will come next. I hope the Changed promised will come and be good.

2 comments:

Tribe Mama said...

Sadly my kids will never know the joy, power and class of walking the inner halls of the White House as their mom keeps them home to clean. Well, they can swoosh a mighty clean toilet!

A Jersey Girl said...

HAHA, you are too funny:)