Monday, March 15, 2010

Justice.

My father brought this story to my attention this morning and I have not stopped thinking about it since. I find so many things wrong and appalling about The American Justice System after looking into this case.

Let me start with the Pennsylvania Firearm/Gun Law as it pertains to minors. Here is the Law:
Per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1 (Possession of firearm by minor), the minimum age to possess a firearm is 18 with two exceptions:

1. The minor is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian, or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's parent or legal guardian and involved in lawful activity.
2. The minor is lawfully involved in hunting or trapping activities.

The articles I have read and interviews I have watched, state that Jordan Brown received the shot-gun used in the murder from his father as an Easter gift. No where does it say that Jordan "broke into" a gun safe or stole this gun. The gun was given to Jordan, an 11 yr old by his father. If I am understanding the law correctly, Jordan should not have a gun AT ALL unless supervised by an adult. Remember, no one ever questioned Jordan's access to the firearm.

Next I want to address the fact that the Jordan, an 11 yr old at the time of the murder, is being charged as an adult. Charged as an adult, and with 2 counts of murder. The murder of his father's fiancee and her unborn child. My problem with this is that all the medical evidence I have found supports the fact that an 11 yr old, does not have the ability to think, comprehend or reason in the same way an 18 yr old does. I have to imagine that the majority of Americans support that belief, otherwise we would not have voting age of 18 and 11 year olds could join the military. But, I am sure Jordan completely and with premeditation, murdered his father's fiancee and her unborn child because the 11 year old mind can do that.

I am the mother of three, I have an 8, 7,& 5 year old. My son is about 2 1/2 years younger than Jordan was when he shot Kenzie Houk and I am not sure I believe that my son could comprehend the finality that comes from shooting someone and I am certain that he could not all premeditate the murder of an unborn child. I think that there are plenty of people involved that should share in the responsibility of these murders, but throwing a child, a child, in prison for the rest of his life does not seem like justice, it seems like child abuse.

The prosecutor in this case said that he had no choice but to charge Jordan as an adult of not charge him at all, and that he said could not happen. No, instead of trying to help a child that clearly has problems, he is going to lock him up and throw away the key. A child that has yet to reach puberty, a baby, a 5th grader. A boy that has never dated or driven a car because he is too young. A boy that is not old enough to go to rated R, adult movies. It makes complete sense that this child could premeditate the murder of his father's fiancee and her unborn child.

Mind you, Jordan was arrested and placed in an adult prison until prison officials admitted they did not have the resources to accommodate a child! The prison system recognizes Jordan as a child, but not the prosecutor. So, what happens if he is convicted? Does he sit in a juvenile detention center until he is 18 and an adult, then moved to an adult prison? I am not sure I understand the logic behind charging someone with a crime that they are not old enough to do the time for. Is that JUSTICE?

I am beyond sorry for the daughters of Kenzie Houk that are now growing up without a mother. I do not however think that charging an 11 year old as an adult in the murder is not justice. But what do I know.

No comments: