Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Rebel Without A Cause...

That is what my husband thinks I am. I am sure he is not alone in this thought, I am sure I have many family members and friends that also wonder where I am coming from. I do not see myself as a rebel, maybe a nonconformist, but not a rebel. I do not take my non conformation easily either. I just think I am less likely than others to just conform.

Most people I know simply follow the ways of the world, because the actions they are following seem harmless and for the most part they are; I on the other hand, wait and think it through before hoping on board. One example of a seemingly harmless conformation is reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in school. See, I have no problem at all with the Pledge and could not be prouder and more happy to be an American. As an adult citizen with the power to vote, I feel Pledging my allegiance is important. I also feel I understand what each and every word in the pledge means and stands for. I do not however feel like my children do. I also feel that having millions of school children recite the pledge everyday, cheapens it. I want people to WANT to pledge! I want people to understand what they are pledging to and for. I do not want millions of kids standing and pledging to something they don't understand or want to be part of.

Another area or unrest I have is the ignorance and laziness of the American voter. I believe that there should be more of a qualification to vote other than age. When people become citizens of the U.S. they have to take a citizen test. We do this, I am told, so that they understand how the U.S. works. Explain to me why in world we think that being born in the U.S. and living to be 18 gives us the right to vote? More disturbing still is the actual number of people that participate in voting. Americans do not realize how lucky we are to walk into a clean, safe polling center within a few miles of our homes. I think people should know that. I think people should know that voting is a duty as a citizen. You should take it seriously, do it and understand why.

Being an American is very special to me. I have been fortunate enough to see first hand, how hard our leaders work for me to have the freedoms and rights that I do. Rarely does a day go by that I do not think of all the people that have given their lives for the freedoms that I have. I know that without them my life would not be what it is.

Am I a rebel? Probably. Would conforming make life easier? Probably. I know it would make me think a lot less:) I don't start trouble just to stir the pot, well not always, if I have an opinion on something it is because I have really taken the time to really thought about it. So, take it for what it is worth, which is not much, just my opinion, but a deeply thought out opinion.

No comments: