Saturday, November 13, 2010

An Unexpectedly Wonderful Day!

We live about 3 hours away from the college my husband attended and for the past 3 football seasons, we have talked about riding out to see a game and finally We Did It!!! With Football over for Declan and no CCD this weekend, Ben and I decided to check the Wesley College Football Schedule for today. What we found was a home game! We started watching the weather and making plans to head to Dover, DE for the day to watch some football and stroll through the campus. By Wednesday the kids were getting excited for this adventure, especially Declan. Every person he spoke to this week heard about his impending trip to see the Wesley Wolverines!

Then all at once I lost my voice, ran a fever and was just sick! Thursday came and went with me whining and feeling worse by the hour. By Friday morning I began preparing the monsters for the possibility of canning the game; there was lots of disappointment and a few tears.

I did not sleep well last night; stuffy, fever, coughing...yuck! When I fell asleep at 4am, I knew there was no way I was getting out of bed, packing lunches and heading to Dover. Then at 7am, Maggie woke me up and I felt slightly better than I had when I went to sleep, so I got up, showered and packed lunches and everyone else followed. At 10am we were on our way to Dover! I was not expecting much from the day. Basically I was hoping to grin and bear it, boy was I wrong! It turned out to be an Unexpectedly Wonderful Day!

The ride to Dover was pleasant. The weather for the game was beautiful. The Wesley Wolverines were awesome to watch and the kids were well behaved. We watched the first half of the game and with Wesley ahead by ALOT, we decided to leave and walk the kids through the campus. They enjoyed it and I got some GREAT pictures of them.

After finishing up on campus, Ben and I decided that we would drive through Dover to see what has changed and then it happened, there was a sign that said "To Beaches". Of course that led to my normal response of "I want to go to the beach" which was quickly followed by Ben's unusual response of "okay, let's go" and off we drove the 45mins from Dover to Rehobeth Beach. We made it to the beach with just enough time to put our toes in the sand before the sunset.

We ended up spending about 30 mins on the beach playing, taking pictures and watching the waves. It was so great! The monsters did not fight while we were on the sand(or I go deaf when I hit the sand) and the world was just good.

It was getting late and everyone was getting hungry and tired so we hit a nice local pub for some dinner, where the food was inhaled by all, ya know how that fresh-air makes you tired and hungry. After dinner we grabbed some ice cream and out of town. And even though the ride from the beach added about an hour to our trip, no one complained. And even though I was starting to feel pretty crummy & tired, I just smiled. And even though my husband had already driven 4 hours and was looking at another 3+ to get home, he was happy. That is what this wonderful day gave us, time together enjoying each other.

I am so happy that the day worked out as it did because most days don't. Most days don't end with everyone happy, having enjoyed the company of their family ALL DAY! Today was an Unexpectedly Wonderful Day, that if planned would never had the same great outcome.

No comments: