Monday, April 26, 2010

Trying Not To Look...

Okay, I will admit it, I have been in denial. I have been unwilling to see all the awful "things" that are added to our food source. The main reason for my denial has been that I see things only as black or white, there is little gray in my life. So, in order to acknowledge that there are many things "unnatural" in our food today, I have to also acknowledge that my family often eats foods that I know are unhealthy and unnatural.

I know that I do not have the ability financially or time-wise for my family to eat only wholesome, natural foods and that is why I have been trying to ignore the facts. The facts that the food we eat today is nothing like food that was eaten 100, 50 or even 20 years ago. While I WANT to believe that most of the changes that have been made to our food source was intended to be for the betterment of people, I do not believe that is what has happened.

When you load chickens with antibiotics because the live in their own filth, that is not healthy or natural. That means that someone knows that if people eat those chickens without the antibiotics, people will get sick. So, if you are eating chicken loaded with antibiotics, how could people expect antibiotics to not become less effective and bacteria stronger? And tell me, when you hear that corn that is grown is NOT for human consumption, but is used for animal feed that is then fed to us, are we not consuming that harmful corn? And that is just cows and chicken. I am not even sure I can handle complex sugars. Complex sugars that are added to EVERYTHING! It is insane how "unnatural" the food we eat is.

I know I have family and friends that are going to read this and think I have been sucked in by Jamie Oliver or Rebecca;-) but I just cannot allow myself to be blind anymore. Does that mean that my children and I will never eat processed food, HELL NO, but it does mean that I will probably think about it every time I do.

Now I will go and finish drinking my high-fructose-corn-syrup laden soda before I head to bed;-) Remember, I only said I was ready to see it, not stop consuming it...maybe that will come with recycling:O)

1 comment:

Slakk said...

i quit the HFCS years ago.
i get one pop a month if that
avoid ketchup even to avoid hfcs

you can get really bogged down in trying to avoid pollutants
exercise and lots of green tea helps

but yeah-- i can become very anal about food orgin. thats why i have a garden

strawberries are starting to bloom