Monday, June 7, 2010

My Religulous Review

First my disclaimers:
-I am NOT a fan of Bill Maher
-I LOVE all things religion
-I am not a religious person

Now the movie/documentary:

Aside from Bill Maher being his regular pompous, rude, annoying self, this movie was awesome! It was full of information on most of the "major" religions of the world and uncovered some unique religions too. What Maher did throughout the movie was travel around the world and talk with people about religion. He spoke with church leaders(i.e. priests,rabbi's), with devotees to explain and support their beliefs, non-believers and Dr. Andrew B. Newberg, all who give some insight to why and what people of the world believe.

What I enjoyed most about this movie was that Maher allowed people to talk about their beliefs and questioned them, I did not feel he was disrespectful. I also like how Maher worked Dr. Newberg into the movie. Again, I did not feel it was done disrespectfully, but as a way to answer questions I think some people were afraid to ask or hear the answers to.

When the movie ended, I had no more direction for my own religious journey, but I did understand more of why people believe. The need people have to find peace and solace. I also felt more secure in my beliefs(or questioning of beliefs) than I had before I watched the movie.

So, if you a willing to hear some new ideas and maybe challenge yourself and your religion a bit, give this movie a try.

1 comment:

Slakk said...

That movie was good.
I like Bill Maher-- I think he is funny.
ITwas done well, and he was respectful, to the most part.
A good movie for anyone who has a least a crack of an open mind.
Not for the religious fanatics though.