Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Yeah, I Watched

The baseball fan in me caved and tuned in for the Strasburg debut. And I will admit that I have my doubts (even as a season ticket holder) about the motives behind bringing him up now, but that aside, he did ROCK tonight! I look forward to seeing him pitch in person later this season.

Now I am going to share a story about my grandfather that my dad shared with me today. Just to remind you, my grandfather was an umpire and he used to say that you knew when an umpire was good when you didn't know he was there. So, my father and I were talking about how much of the spotlight the men in blue have been using and he shared this story:

My grandfather was umpiring a game and a fight broke out. Benches cleared and the umpires were in the mix trying to break it up and one of the players bit my grandfather's ankle. So, the next time a fight broke out during one of his games he got fined by baseball. Why you ask? Because ask the fight broke out, he looked at his partner and said, lets get out of here and they sat in the dugout until the fight was over. Said he wasn't getting bit again:)

Knowing him, he probably sat there smoking and enjoying the break;-) Thanks for sharing the story dad!

1 comment:

Slakk said...

is this where the term "ankle biter" came from?