Monday, September 1, 2008

Comments...

I was going to just leave a comment to Rebecca's Blog, but I had too much to say on the topic, so I figured I use an entire post for comment. Her post was about the fact that Gov. Palin's 17 year old daughter, Bristol is pregnant and getting married. At issue is that fact that the Palin's are Christan and their values do not condone this type of behavior and there for should we be praising Gov. Palin as a mother and her daughter for her choice to marry at 17 and have the baby. I am going to respond based on my life experiences on this topic.

First, this story, which was never being hidden, just not volunteered, was commented on by Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin because there were many stories on the net suggesting that The Palin's last child was not theirs, but their daughter's, which was false. So, they commented in hopes of letting people know that she is in fact pregnant. I am not sure though why it was necessary to print lies about something so serious.

Second, on the issue of Christian values and pre-marital sex, I think it comes down to a church to church basis. For instance, when husband and I were going to our counseling before we got married, the priest knew that we had been having sex, and that was okay in our church as we were in a committed relationship. I know not all church preach that, but ours did.

Third, on the choice to support her daughter in her choice to have the baby and get married at 17, I think it is good. Good not because it would/or would not be my choice, but because they are standing by there value of life. I am sure they had hope for their daughter not to have gotten pregnant, but she did and what do you do next? The answer to that question is what speaks to the heart of their values. As parents, many of us are faced with choices on how to handle things our children have done that we would have rather they not, but we are their parents and do what is best to support them. I think that the Governor, her daughter and her entire family should not be praised, but left alone to deal with this private family issue. It is not something that makes her unable to be Vice- President.

Last, as for Bristol and the baby's father getting married at 17, I have been with my husband since I was 15, I am 33 now. I could have gotten married at 17 and been okay. I didn't, but at 18 we were living together and have ever since.

3 comments:

Tribe Mama said...

Well said.

Tribe Mama said...

I forgot to say that I WAS NOT prepared to be married at 17...what a nightmare that would have been, if you had only known my boyfriend.

Each is a case by case, I just hope she is the one who wants to keep the baby and get married.

Ree said...

Very good post! I feel like you do! This s their own private family issue and should be kept as such!
I was like you but at the age of 19. I found myself pregnant at that time. I however had a miscarriage. We got engaged at Christmas time later that year and planned a wedding for 6/10/89. I again found myself pregnant the following summer. So we moved up the wedding date to 11/26/88. When we went to the parish office to change the date, the preist must have saw our nervousness. I really feel he knew our secret. As we were walking out, he said to us, "Don't worry, everything is going to be just fine!!" I found out later that that particular priest was blind! So he must have actually sensed it, not saw it!!
Anyway, Hubby and I will be married 20 years this November. And no it hasn't been easy!! But you have to work on it!! We were engaged for 1 1/2 years prior to our wedding.
Like you, I believe if you are in a commited relationship and you love that person then you should be able to act on it!